20 Jul Goals
Posted at 15:41h in The mission
The Salesian mission in Adwa works in the spirit of Don Bosco and Mother Mazzarello, following their charisma in educating.
From its foundation, the goals have been to:
- Evangelise, educating through the school and introduction into the workforce.
- Defend life in all its forms.
- Work so that it is the Ethiopians who change Ethiopia and make youth the protagonists of their own future.
- Identify potential leaders and prepare them as “formators”.
- Guide the local people from a traditionally agricultural and pastoral economy (no longer sustainable) to an artisanal, cooperative, industrial economy.
- Encourage private initiatives and 3rd sector activities.
- Promote the empowerment of women, who have always faced discrimination.
- Create conditions for an economic upswing to free the people from poverty and dependence.
- Create conditions by which the people can make free and informed choices, including religious ones.
- Ensure the mission’s future financial independence in terms of normal operation.
The mission works with:
- All the religious and civil entities in the area.
- The Catholic Secretariat and Religious Congregations.
- Representatives from Churches of various denominations.
- The Ministry of Education.
- The Ministry of Labour.
- The UN civil protection and peace forces.
- Factories, merchants, professionals, artisans, farmers.
The missions works for:
- The weakest categories, women and children.
- The youth, prioritising girls.
- Illiterate adults.
- Girls at risk (prevention).
- Girls and women who are already involved in prostitution, often simply to feed themselves (rescue).
- Single mothers, abandoned/abused wives, widows.
- Orphans of war or AIDS.
- Literate adults that require retraining.